I've become addicted to using the word sophomore, it's pretty hard to slip into casual conversations though so I'm just going to pepper this blog with it for a while instead. I think it's lodged itself in a cul-de-sac of my mind somewhere near 'groovy'... which has resided in un-cool alley, cerebral cortex, Kate's brain, LA8 8PU since the early 2000s.
My impending sojourn to the south of the States might have something to do with that, visa packets arrived today so it's getting quite exciting y'all! And I guess I will be a sophomore when I arrive, so hopefully dropping it into my daily vernacular there whilst eating corn dogs and dairy queen will be a much more socially accepted practice than it is here in London town, where it's way too cold to even contemplate ice cream consumption.
Dreams of Ben and Jerry's aside, I was wondering how I could make the word sophomore applicable to anything non-college related and I realised that I was yet to listen to Florence and the Machines second (or should I say sophomore) album, Ceremonials.
I had high hopes, having fallen in love with her many moons ago in my local library when she was but a ginger weirdo with a loud voice and a penchant for bunting-making, I expected better from her sparkly eccentric self. Despite the subtle sampling of crows it's all a bit too choral and oddly eighties for my liking. Still, the woman's entertaining to watch:
Plus I get to use the word sophomore when describing it...
Also on a side note Vice issue launch at the Old Blue Last tomorrow will see the likes of Trailer Trash Tracys and Mozart Parties take to the stage, starts at 8pm if you fancy finding yourself in the Shoreditch vicinity.
oh man! so jealous of your american travels! wish i had the time (and money) but between last summer and plans for the summer after next, i'm pretty screwed!
ReplyDeleteflorence will never impress me as much as she did... it all kind of went downhill after "you got the love". still good, just never as good
xx